Sunday, August 29, 2010

30 Day Writer's Challenge | Day 10

Remember when love was romantic?
Me neither.

Last night I spent some time with a lot of married friends. I was sitting at a long table on the wife side with all of the respective husbands across from their better half.

Across the table from me, an empty chair.

In my arms, a sweet, sleeping, 5-week-old Sophie I borrowed from her mom and dad two seats down. I was in a good place, enjoying good company, conversation and this cuddly bundle fresh from Heaven. It was wonderful.

Well into our evening my neighbor turned to me and asked "Where is your husband?" I know her, so I thought she was teasing and in jest I replied "I don't know, I can't find him anywhere." The look on her face made it clear she thought he was actually lost somewhere in the building. I was mortified and wanted to keep it light so tried one last comedic reply, "I think he died in the war in Heaven." She smiled sweetly and laughed shyly, obviously not sure of what to say to me.

I couldn't take it any longer, I touched her arm in consolation and just blurted it out, "I'm not married."

I kind of felt bad, she was in complete shock. I almost feel more sympathy for her than I do for myself.


Almost.

2 comments:

Nubia Mejia said...

I want to be wooed, dammit!

Unknown said...

Katherine,
I have something fun for you and need your address. Email it when you get a chance.

Shauna