Saturday, February 13, 2010

love letters | Irving Berlin

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I decided to go ahead and post the last love letter on this, Valentine’s Day eve. This last love letter is a little different. If you know me, you know how music has played a huge roll in my life. I love music…it speaks to my soul like nothing I can explain.

So on Valentine’s Day I want to share a little love from the father of all romantic ballads, Irving Berlin. He was one of the most important song writers in the United States, and most people know at least one or two of his songs (“White Christmas”, “What’ll I do?”, “Cheek to Cheek”, or maybe you’ve heard of “God Bless America”?)

But today, it’s all about the love!

In 1912 Berlin married Dorothy Goetz. She died of typhoid fever while on their honeymoon. After her death he wrote his first ballad, to her “When I Lost You”. Here are the lyrics to the chorus:

I lost the sunshine and roses, I lost the heavens of blue,
I lost the beautiful rainbow, I lost the morning dew.
I lost the angel who gave me, summer the whole winter through.
I lost the gladness that turned into sadness,
When I lost you.
And I lost the angel who gave me, summer the whole winter through.
I lost the gladness that turned into sadness,
When I lost you.

So sad. And on their honeymoon!

In 1925 he met and fell in love with Ellin Mackay. Her daddy wouldn't have any of that so he shipped her off to Europe. That Irving didn’t give up and sent his love letters over the radio with two songs written just for her, “Remember” and “Always”.

So on this special day, by the magic of You Tube (forgive the cheesy video, it's the best I could find) and the heart melting voice of Frank Sinatra, I bring you my favorite kind of love letter…


It worked. She returned from Europe and they eloped to the county courthouse. As a result her father disowned his daughter. But no bother...she and Irving had 62 happily married years together, just to spite him.




Happy Valentine’s Day!
I hope you found some love.


1 comment:

Supershepherds said...

I love how much you love love. Thanks for all the awesome poetry and letters. What a great reminder of the need for romance in the world.

Happy Valentine's Day, dear-heart.