Sunday, December 20, 2009

When I find time to catch up on my blog stalking it is a common occurrence to hear the apologies of neglected and forgotten blog authors. Well my friends, I’m not going to apologize, not this time. I’ve been living my life and sometimes, I just simply don’t have time to write it all down. However, now that school (until my Masters) is over I feel the urge, the itch, the tickle if you will…to keep my writing skills in check and keep up with the keep up’ns.

With all the life living I’ve been doing coming to a speedy halt post graduation, I should be hitting the streets in search of that perfect job. Sad thing, I am so not motivated. I mean, don’t get me wrong…my bank account is plenty motivating, but I think I have the job search blues and this soon…I’m in trouble. I do need something good to happen and fast, the electronic rejections are a lot to stomach after a while. But then last night I was in search of a pick me up for a different situation and ran across this quote:

"Keep courage. Whatever you do, do not feel sorry for yourself. You will win in a great age of opportunity." Richard L. Evans

Don’t you love it! I do. It’s a great reminder. I have a great opportunity, I just have to find it, and I will. Then tonight, I came home and saw by lovely Brucey The Sprucey glowing in the dark and saw last years ornament from Mom & Dad nestled among the rusty bells…

I picked "hope" last year on purpose. It was a hard time, I had just gotten laid off and still had a long year of school and I never thought I would make it. But here I am, (relatively) happy and healthy. Yes, there are times that I want to throw in the towel…for instance, sitting alone at church. It is particularly horrible every Sunday, but holiday Sundays are the worst. I was so grateful to be singing in the choir today so that I could feel included in that family for a moment. Maybe next Sunday I will visit J&J’s ward out in Dallas.

Friday night I made People Puppy Chow, mmm…tasty! I’m sending a big tin full in package number two headed up to Brian. And sure, I hope he enjoys it, but I really made it for his littles. Because whose littles don't l.o.v.e. some PPC!?!

I also made fudge. What a joke. I know fudge is not supposed to be funny, and technically this is more sad than funny…it didn’t turn out. I followed the recipe to a tee and I guess I should buy a candy thermometer because it just didn’t work. The white chocolate fudge is still sitting in the refrigerator, and the milk chocolate has since been placed back in the hot spot, brought to a boil…again, and put back in the pan at attempt number two to set up. I did the “soft ball test” and I think it was ready, but who knows. It’s not like having a baby, although I wouldn’t know much about that either. If it works, the re-boil, that is – then the white chocolate may go back on the hot spot too. It has to work tonight though…that fudge is scheduled to accompany the PPC up to Virginia via USPS tomorrow. Attempt number two is looking good so far. If this doesn't work I'm just going to put it in cute jars and call it hot fudge topping (with pecans)...

Earlier today I counted myself among the lucky few who get to substitute as Primary Chorister. I was super excited when Camille asked and decided on snow flakes scattered around the room with songs on the back to make things exciting. I just love having the Teacher Resources & Activity Center at KSU so close by. They have a ton of di-cuts, super inexpensive laminating and so much more!

Sis Jo let me borrow a black top hat (for the boys) and a super cute felt hat (for the girls) and scarves so the children that picked the snow flakes could dress up like snow girls & boys and help me lead the music. We really had a great time and although I mostly sang a lot of solos, when the children did sing, it was beautiful. I have never had that calling before (I know, right!?!), but I think it would be fun. I did wear my new (fabulous) graduation heels though and my feet are feeling it now. That was far too much standing for one day if you ask me. I think that’s why I decided to blog…the sitting helps the feet, but now my back is aching!

Speaking of my aching back…guess what my besties gave me for a graduation present? A gift certificate for a massage! Can you believe it? I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I have no idea when I will use it, but I am simply elated that they thought of me…what a great group of girl friends. I would be lost without them. (love you girls!)

Speaking of great movies...OK, not really, but let's talk about something else now. I finally bought Julie & Julia and I can't wait to watch it again! It made me want to DO something. I mean, I know I just finished my degree so technically I deserve to take a break while I find that job I was talking about earlier, but I don't think I should. I think I need to jump right into something else...something BIG! But I need suggestions, what should I do? I need a goal. A challenge. Something to count down to. OK, leave your suggestions in the comments section.

Here are some of my current ideas:

* Start a reading project
I have been wanting to start on the Library of Congress Books To Read Before You Die list, but I can't seem to locate it again.

* Run a race
Yes, I said RUN. I know this will take training and a serious commitment, but it is something I technically already have on my list...I think everyone does this time of year. You know, after we eat twice our weight in baked goods for three straight months (yes, don't forget October was Halloween) we all want to attack the weight loss goal come new year, but this time I'm actually going to accomplish this goal...I will, just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait!

* Learn to cook
Given the inspiration is coming from the cooking show, this seems appropriate. I could basically do what she did, but just not really. I actually have an American Cooking cookbook that sis Jo gave me (or did I steal it?) and I found a recipe for some sort of creamy chicken last night and I actually bought some ingredients to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Either way, after all the disasters in this kitchen I could certainly use a few cooking lessons, here's hoping I can teach myself. I'm hoping it has more to do with reading the recipe and following directions that my abilities.

So I only have three ideas...what did you expect? That's sort of why I need your suggestions. So, get on with it, think of something fun/challenging/goal oriented for me to do.

Check it out only 4 days left to find someone to kiss under some of this...

And only 11 days to find someone for that New Year's Eve smooch! Wow...I better get busy.

2 comments:

Supershepherds said...

"Take a trip with the besties" better be on the to-do list. Now that you're graduated (for now) I fully expect a dinner apt. here and there when I'm in ATL. Good luck with the fudge. I'm sure Brian and the littles will love the PPC.

Jen Thomas said...

I want the recipe for the PPC- yum! Not that I need it!

As for the race... I am signing up for a 5k March 27th.. There is a COuch to 5k program online that I am starting! You should do it with me!!

Love you! Merry Christmas! We seriously need to get together!