Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some Assembly Required

I have to preface this story with some vital information.
1) I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with very little storage space
2) I have a lot of clothes, I did not say I wear them all...I just own them.
3) I have a lot of shoes. I wear all of them. I love all of them.
4) I am a busy girl. Because of this I have had a friend of mine help me most recently with the organization and storage of said clothes, shoes and other personal belongings.
5) In no way shape or form is the following story in any way related to what Lauren (said friend) has done for me...she did great!

On with the circus:
Tonight after the most ridiculous waste of my time Mass Com class I took a trip to Wal*Mart to purchase some essentials. One of these essentials was an additional shoe holder thing that hangs on your clothes rack in the closet. This is my 4th shoe hanger thing and I was so thrilled to get all my shoes off the floor that I hung it up immediately.

I only wish I had before pictures, but I don't...so trust me, my closet was FULL, but very strategically placed and everything in its rightful rank and position.

So, continuing on with my evening I am up late studying for my Statistics test (it's tomorrow night, so check back for grades in about a week) and finally manage to get the last load of laundry in the washer and feel like (thanks to Lauren) I am making progress getting a little more organized, so I start to clean off my bed to head for a snooze. The time was approximately 3:17 a.m. and I heard the strangest crash. It wasn't loud or shocking, it was almost even muffled. NOW I know why, as I turned around and looked in my closet to see this:

Yes, I had already taken some boxes off the shelf, but you get the general idea. The muffled *thud* I heard was muffled because my clothes broke the fall. I just stood there. Me. Stood. Thinking to myself "self, what in the world do we do with this?!" I looked around my clean room and sort of did this grimace laugh and even thought "sure wish Anne was still in Japan because I could call her, it's only 4 in the afternoon there. No one in the States is up for me to freak out with! I wonder if Liz is up?"

Finally I get it together and yell at myself, "don't just stand there Katherine, get on with it!" So I started to pull all my clothes out and stack them on the Christmas boxes:

This is the closet once all my clothes are out:

These are all my clothes piled up on the boxes, now waiting for the maintenance man to come rehang my shelf. No, I take that back...hang a different shelf maintenance man...that one was horrible!

Here are all my shoes, aren't they pretty! OK, you can't really see all the pretty ones, they are at the other end.

Oh yeah, a pile of clothes in the chair in the living room.

I thought about posting in the morning and then I figured, what the heck, I'm up!

Side Note: One of the boxes that was on top of the shelf (and probably a contributing factor to the fall of the great wall of China) was a box of jeans. Why a box of jeans, you ask? Just ask my family...they know! They know because they have helped me move that same bloody box of jeans to and from the last three, ok, for or five easy, apartments. I had dreams. Such high hopes. A denim quilt. It would have been great! I took that box directly to the front door. Unless someone calls me before I make it to the metal box in the Wal*Mart parking lot, they will be donated manana!

I do not have time for my world...ur, I mean, my closet, to fall apart. I must find a better place to live, where there is enough storage for a simple girls wardrobe. Where red Steve Madden's can sit in privacy and take in the rest necessary until the perfect outfit needs the perfect pair of heels.

The End

5 comments:

The Sixth Sister said...

BAH HA HA HA! I am laughing soo hard right now. So sad, but so funny at the same time.
I want the box of jeans...is there anything good in there? You can bring them saturday with my milk crates and sand.

Sarah said...

OMG!!! I'm sorry...but I just burst out laughing. That kind of thing only happens to me!! And you should have called. I was up!! I couldn't sleep cuz my house was cold. I'm too cheap to turn on the heater yet. :( But you did better than I. Those clothes would still be sitting on the closet floor if it were me!!!

Supershepherds said...

Holy cow! I would probably have gone back to bed, thinking I must have dreamt it all. What a nightmare. Sort of funny, but still nightmare-ish.

Jodi said...

You can always call me...3:17 a.m. is early! My bedtime is usually 3:30 a.m. or so. The exact same thing happened to me last month except for it was the shelves I put up to store stuff on and I was an idiot and put breakables on it. Needless to say I learned my lesson the hard way!

The BirdHouse said...

Girl, I have to laugh because the same exact thing happened to my mom and dad when they moved into their new house a few years ago. I happened to be there at the time and it scared that crap out of us all. We never dreamed the closet shelf would fall!!