Monday, June 2, 2008

I am not in the military...

Tonight was my first day of Mon/Wed classes and I have two of them and they are sooo long. So I pulled into the parking lot at school (the west deck, my fav) and took a quick glance at my schedule to see where I needed to be. I had to run to the book store to pick up a packet of paperwork for my public speaking class and knew I needed to get there before my 5 o'clock class so I was in a bit of a hurry.

I make it to the book store, run upstairs and grab the packet I need and then stand in line for 15 minutes to get to the cashier. After the bookstore I jet over the Buriss building and right into class with a good 10 minutes to spare. So I introduce myself to my neighbors and we chit chat about how there was nothing posted on line and then the prof starts class.

He had his wife make this name tags for our desks out of file folders and we had to stand them up so he could see them. I didn't have one. He said, just write your name on the roll and I'll get one for you next time. No biggie. So we are at this point a good 45 minutes into this class. It is BISM, and I know I am taking BISM, but all the sudden I am not so sure I am taking THIS BISM.

So I continue to sit there freaking out in my head because the more he talks the more I realize there is no way this is my class.

Now let me say this much...I COULD HAVE PASSED THAT CLASS...but when he finally passed out that syllabus it was clear as a bell that I had been in THE WRONG CLASS FOR OVER AN HOUR. I didn't want to be rude, but I had to get out of there. I patiently (torture!!) waited until he released us for our break (which he had promised us earlier would happen) and ran out into the hall to check my schedule on line. NO! I did not have it with me...I left it in the car.

Once outside I see that I am indeed in the wrong class. I had come to my 8:00pm class at 5:00pm and it just so happened that is was BISM 3100 and my 8:00pm class is BISM 2100. The worse part, I was missing COM 1135 - Writing for Communications.

I ran back into the class, grabbed my things and booked it across campus. I got there 1 hour and 30 minutes late and it was pure luck that the professor was still there. She was really nice and we got a good laugh out of it. She can't be a day older than me and my guess is that she is younger. Makes you feel a little silly, but I guess that's what it's all about.

So, here I sit in the sorry excuse for a student center with my PB&J sandwich and 45 minutes till MY BISM 2100 class...which will be back in the same class that I just spent an hour and 15 minutes in. Ugh. Tired. Already.

The moral of the story is that if you are not in the military, you should double check yourself when referring to anything that is listed in military time.

1 comment:

John IV said...

This is funny. I've done it too. This is why your building and classroom number is printed on your schedule. Dork! The schedules use the 24 hr time because there are classes that start at both 8am and 8pm and 6am and 6pm. Just subtract 12 if the time is 13 or more. No worries! =)