Thursday, November 29, 2007

Houston...we have a problem!

SOMEONE NOTIFY THE PRESIDENT!
BRING IN THE NATIONAL GUARD!
Bentonville, we have a problem...
Tonight after class I went to Wal*Mart (gotta keep Nicki employed) to purchase a few necessities: pink frosted sugar cookies (you know the kind), lettuce, blue cheese (hey, WM, it would be nice if you had more than ONE choice of blue cheese and it might also be an idea to keep all the cheeses IN ONE PLACE, rather than 3 different locations! I only spent 20 precious minutes of my time looking for it OR a blue smock wearing, name tagged soul and only found the b.c. when I went in search of oranges!), toilet paper, frosty cold beverages (a.k.a. Diet Coke) oranges, and of course ICE CREAM, just to name a few.
You can imagine my complete and utter shock to walk down the "Ice Cream and Ice Cream Novelty" isle to find this:

Do you see what I see? (Do you see what I see?)

NOTHING.
That's right...nothing! I am still in shock. What's a girl to do?
I mean, that's some 6 odd empty freezer cases.
No, this is not a joke, I really took this picture with my camera phone.
(I know it is poor quality, but my batteries are dead on my real camera. Yes, it was in my bag...no, I don't leave home without it!)
Alright, I will admit, there was some ice cream there, only 2 or 3 freezer cases of the picked through, nobody wants it stuff and also Ben & Jerry's "I'm too poor to buy New York Super Fudge Chunk" ice cream.
After wandering aimlessly up and down the isle, as if gazing at myself in the reflection of the glass doors in front of all of those empty shelves would make more ice cream appear, I was finally forced to buy the other stuff:
Bryers Brownie Mud Pie

And apparently the other stuff is really good for you...ha! ha! ha!

I don't know what is going on, but I intend to get to the bottom of this!

Ok, probably not, since I am sure some lonely broken-hearted woman probably just hijacked the ice cream truck before it made it's stop. And knowing Wal*Mart, there is another truck already en route with my Extreme Moose Tracks of the (less expensive) store brand variety, just waiting to be stocked by a blue smock, name tag wearing soul (in gloves).

Good-ness...aren't we spoiled! 3ish freezer cases of ice cream and I was not satisfied. You know, back in the days of walking to school in the snow, up hill both ways, and barefoot...I bet they only had ice cream in the winter when the weather was cold enough to store it outside, with Bessy, who we had to butcher to make it through the winter. And if you were lucky enough to have it during the summer, then you usally got sick because you had to eat it all so fast, otherwise it would just melt. Spoiled, I tell you...spoiled.

This drought has taught me one thing, you can bet I am adding rock salt to my year supply of food.

No comments: